Pages

Monday 16 July 2012

生煎包 @ Crystal Jade La Mian Xiao Long Bao

I was having lunch at Crystal Jade La Mian Xiao Long Bao when I spotted this in the menu:

Yes, it's Sheng Jian Bao (生煎包), this really delicious distant cousin of xiaolongbao. It is essentially a dumpling containing pork filling and fragrant soup broth just like xiao long bao, but it's encased in a thicker dough and is pan-fried, so the bottom becomes crispy golden brown. My first taste of 生煎包 is in Shanghai from one of those roadside food vendors who actually pan-fry these wonderful dumplings on the spot in a shallow pan. Unfortunately, Crystal Jade's take on this bun is not as good as what I had in Shanghai. The soup inside the bun had been absorbed by the bun dough and as a result, it was a little soggy. The dough was also too dense for my liking. Do you have any recommended places for Sheng Jian Bao?

No comments:

Post a Comment