Pages

Wednesday 16 January 2013

Victor's Kitchen @ Sunshine Plaza

I expected Victor's Kitchen to be some really big establishment after hearing so many rave reviews about the place. So I was a little taken aback when I walked into Sunshine Plaza and into this little humble eatery tucked inside the building. The place seems a little old and run down, but I instantly felt the Hong Kong vibe with the makeshift tables and cantonese speaking staff. I came slightly early to beat the lunch crowd and was glad to find a table. So they will provide you with these order sheets where you select your dim sum and drinks. Note the "We Serve The Best Food, But Not Fast Foods" slogan directed at impatient customers.

I had their HK Summer Iced Milk Tea ($3) which is as authentic HK milk tea as it gets. It really reminds me of the iced milk tea I had in HK. The milk tea was really thick and definitely the strong hints of milk and tea flavours combined really well. They don't put the ice into the drink, but chose to chill the drink by inserting the entire cup into a mini ice bath. Haven't seen anyone do this before, but I guess this prevents the ice from diluting the milk tea!

Plastered all around the four walls of the eatery are food review cut outs that proclaim that Victor's Kitchen liu sa bao, (or Golden Egg Yolk Lava Buns ($4 for 3 pcs) as they call it in here) is the best you can find in Singapore. This is a must try item here that has been raved by so many people. The hype surrounding these buns are understandable. Though they may look small, each bun packs a whole lot of flowy molten golden goodness. I wasn't very careful with my first bun and the golden egg filling burst out as I chomped on the bun. A messy affair indeed. I was quite liked how their filling had a balance of both sweet and salty taste in it. Most other eateries simply neglect the salted egg part of the these buns; they scrimp on the salted egg filling and are happy to just let the sweet custard overpower it. Not in Victor's Kitchen. The buns were also fluffy and soft and a great complement to the lava fillings. One downside? It's a little oily and some might find it too rich, but hey, that's what makes it so so so good right?

I also tried their King Prawn Cheong Fun ($4), but there's really nothing much about this dish, except that the prawns were quite huge. King Prawns indeed. But I was a little disappointed with the texture of the cheong fun- too hard and stiff for my liking. Perhaps it has been overcooked?

The dim sum here are really affordable, I think the most expensive dish is only $5. I wasn't expecting much from service and I thought the serving ladies though efficient, seemed pretty cold and unfriendly at first. But talk to them a little and they are really polite and not that unfriendly after all. The cashier even thanked me and wished me a pleasant day ahead. I would definitely come back for my insatiable fix of Golden Egg Yolk Lava buns and milk tea!

Victor’s Kitchen
91 Bencoolen Street
Sunshine Plaza #01-21

Opening Hours: Tue to Sun 1030am to 8pm
Closed on Mon



No comments:

Post a Comment