Pages

Monday 25 June 2012

Homemade Chilled Soya Beancurd Pudding

I am a big fan of Lao Ban soya beancurd, and it appears this food fad isn't going to die off anytime soon, especially in Singapore's increasingly sweltering climate. A bowl of nice, bouncy chilled beancurd pudding is just such a perfect dessert/snack any time of the day. Tired of queuing to obtain a decent bowl of beancurd pudding, I set out to replicate Lao Ban's creation at home. I searched for the recipe online and I was absolutely amazed at how SIMPLE it is to churn out a bowl of Lao Ban.

I got my receipe from Hardwarezone (see link for more details!), and this recipe is really idiot-proof. There are just three main ingredients:

  1. Vitasoy Soya milk

  2. Phoon Huat Instant Jelly Powder

  3. Coffeemate (optional)




  • The recipe recommends a certain mix of organic soya milk powders, but being the lazy person I am, I just took the shortcut and got a pack of Vitasoy. Vitasoy lovers will appreciate the "Vitasoy" flavour in the beancurd.

  • Instant jelly powder was a little hard to find; they were for a period of time out of stock in Phoon Huat stores and I only recently managed to get my hands on one of the last few bottles left. You don't actually use much powder, so this small bottle can last you a long time (unless you decide to mass produce)

  • Coffeemate is supposed to give a slightly malt taste to enhance the flavour of the beancurd pudding, but I thought the Vitasoy flavour more or less overpowered it, so I doubt it made much of a difference when using Vitasoy. So it's really up to you if you want to add more calories to your pudding.


So to make this, you just warm the soya milk in the pan, (DO NOT BOIL. Curdled soya milk is YUCKS^10). Add the right portions of powder and STIR. Best to stir with a whisk to ensure the powder is evenly mixed into the warm milk mixture. Let the mixture cool awhile before pouring them into plastic bowls. Let them sit awhile more before inserting them to the fridge and serve chilled.

Here is my final product:

The texture is almost similar to Lao Ban's- semi solid silky smooth pudding that bursts into soya milk in your mouth. Lao Ban wins taste wise- nothing beats their fresh soya bean taste and they have a certain nice fragrant, malty taste to it. This recipe produces soya beancurd that is perhaps more similar to what 51 Soya Bean serves.

I just can't believe how ridiculously easy (and LOW cost) it is to make beancurd pudding that so many people crave and queue for. You can easily get your soya beancurd fix from home!

No comments:

Post a Comment