Pages

Monday 25 June 2012

Tiong Bahru Bakery



This place was brimming with the yuppie lunch crowd and it was really crowded when I popped by. The bakery has this really huge impractical swivel door that has to be manned by a staff (why don't they just use a normal door? Must boost productivity hor) which leads into the long narrow cafe. If you decide to eat in, the friendly staff will usher you to a vacant table but you will have to place your own orders at the counter.

This bakery collaborates with French celebrity baker Gontran Cherrier and there has been much hype about the breads sold here. I distinctly remember the Sunday Times food writer proclaiming that the croissants served here are probably the best in Singapore, so I decided to try their Croissant ($2.30).

I was quite impressed by this; the outer layers were flaky and crisp, while the insides were soft and buttery. It was not dense at all and every rich buttery bite was an absolute delight. While the croissant can be savoured plain, you can also help yourself to butter and jam provided by the bakery. Do note they have a counter dispensing butter, strawberry jam and marmalade inside the shop. Just walk to the back and help yourself!  The fluffy insides of the croissant definitely went very well with the additional condiments.

If you find plain croissants boring, the bakery also serves out a really superb Chocolate Almond Croissant ($3.50), which has the same croissant shell stuffed with generous amounts of sliced almonds and chocolate filling. The pastry is surprisingly not over cloyingly sweet and I enjoyed munching on soft, fluffy dough with crunchy almonds.

The shop also serves coffee, the same brew served in their nearby sister outlet 40 Hands. I got myself a cup of Piccolo Latte which really gave me a potent caffeine kick. A simple croissant and coffee from this place is enough to perk up my dreary afternoons.

They also have an extensive selection of cakes and I regret not getting any during my visit. I was impressed by the croissants and judging by the overcrowded cafe on a weekday afternoon, many people appreciate their quality bread and desserts. Will definitely come back for more in my next visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment